European Union leaders, who met on March 10 in Versailles on the Russian military aggression against Ukraine, urged the European Council to submit its opinions on EU membership applications of Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia without delay.
In a 5-point joint statement, the EU leaders said that two weeks ago, Russia brought war back to Europe. The war inflicts unspeakable suffering to the Ukrainian population.
The 5-point joint statement reads:
1. Two weeks ago Russia brought war back to Europe. Russia’s unprovoked and unjustified military aggression against Ukraine grossly violates international law and the principles of the UN Charter and undermines European and global security and stability. It is inflicting unspeakable suffering on the Ukrainian population. Russia, and its accomplice Belarus, bear full responsibility for this war of aggression and those responsible will be held to account for their crimes, including for indiscriminately targeting civilians and civilian objects. In this respect we welcome the decision of the prosecutor of the International Criminal Court to open an investigation. We call for the safety and security of Ukraine’s nuclear facilities to be ensured immediately with the assistance of the International Atomic Energy Agency. We demand that Russia ceases its military action and withdraws all forces and military equipment from the entire territory of Ukraine immediately and unconditionally, and fully respects Ukraine’s territorial integrity, sovereignty and independence within its internationally recognised borders.
2. We commend the people of Ukraine for their courage in defending their country and our shared values of freedom and democracy. We will not leave them alone. The EU and its Member States will continue to provide coordinated political, financial, material and humanitarian support. We are committed to provide support for the reconstruction of a democratic Ukraine once the Russian onslaught has ceased. We are determined to increase even further our pressure on Russia and Belarus. We have adopted significant sanctions and remain ready to move quickly with further sanctions.
3. Countless people are fleeing the war in Ukraine. We offer temporary protection to all war refugees from Ukraine. We commend European countries, notably at the borders with Ukraine, for showing immense solidarity in hosting Ukrainian war refugees. The EU and its Member States will continue to show solidarity and provide humanitarian, medical and financial support to all refugees and the countries hosting them. We call for funds to be made available without delay through a swift adoption of the proposal on Cohesion’s Action for Refugees in Europe (CARE) and through ReactEU. We call on Russia to fully abide by its obligations under international humanitarian law. It must ensure safe and unhindered humanitarian access to the victims and internally displaced persons in Ukraine, and allow safe passage for those civilians who want to leave.
4. The European Council acknowledged the European aspirations and the European choice of Ukraine, as stated in the Association Agreement. On 28 February 2022, exercising the right of Ukraine to choose its own destiny, the President of Ukraine submitted the application of Ukraine to become a member of the European Union. The Council has acted swiftly and invited the Commission to submit its opinion on this application in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Treaties. Pending this and without delay, we will further strengthen our bonds and deepen our partnership to support Ukraine in pursuing its European path. Ukraine belongs to our European family.
5. The Council has invited the Commission to submit its opinions on the applications of the Republic of Moldova and Georgia.
See all the news
Europe's largest crypto exchange WhiteBIT has partnered with Netflix
Fitch Affirms TBC Leasing at 'BB-'; Outlook Stable
What regime of sanctions applies to Russian oil and what requirements Georgia has to comply?
Financial Services in CAREC
#ForbesTalks:"ოფისი ღრუბლებში" - საიდან გაჩნდა ვირტუალური ოფისის შექმნის იდეა? - Grant Thornton Georgia
#TheCheckpoints: TIWB & Georgia - Interview with Rusudan Kemularia, Head of TIWB Secretariat
#TheCheckpoints: The Professional - Demnagram_Story of Saba Bakhia
#BMGAUTO: საირმის ტური - პოლარისი VS ველოსიპედი
მთავრობა მედიკამენტების კიდევ გაიაფებას გვპირდება - რა იგეგმება?
რა არის Step'n და ღირს თუ არა მასში ინვესტირება?
რას წარმოადგენს "ლენდ-ლიზი"(Lend-Lease)-ს პროგრამა
#პროფესიონალი: საბა ბახია
#Forbestalks - ინტერვიუ დემიენ მაკკინთან
Stoli® Group to Release Limited-Edition Bottle in Support of the Ukrainian People
როგორ მოხვდა 17 წლის ანასტასია ლელაძე ჰარვარდში? - ანასტასია ლელაძე ქალების ნარატივში
"Literally the whole village was waiting for the first harvest of strawberry" - Kvitsiani family from Svaneti
Aliyev replaces long-serving central bank head with loyalist
Putin imposes visa restrictions on citizens from 'unfriendly' countries
#BMGAUTO - ავტომობილი რომელმაც პორშეს რეკორდი დაამხო - Citroen Xantia
#ForbesTalks:უნივერსიტეტის როლი პოლიტიკურ და სოციალურ ცხოვრებაში