The number of supermarkets is growing every year in Georgia - as a result, supermarket chains with quite various business models are successfully established on the market. Some of them focus on service quality, while others emphasize attractive prices and fast network expansion.
The turnover of fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) reached about 8 billion GEL in 2019, and its main representatives are the largest network supermarkets.
According to the companies' audit reports, Carrefour is the number 1 player in the sector, which sales amounted to 473 million GEL in 2019. Nikora Trade ranks as the 2nd, which sales were 28% up amounting to 440 million GEL. In 2019, Ori Nabiji sales increased by 33%, amounting to 308 million GEL.
Supermarket chain Magniti has the highest growth pace; Magniti sold 194 million GEL worth goods. Several participants of the rating include various brands at the same time. For example, JSC Foodmart combines brands of Spar and Ioli, while Nikora Trade includes - the brands of Nikora and Libre.
Top Supermarket Chains of 2019 by Revenue in Georgia
- Carrefour - 473,688,000 GEL, increase of 4% y-o-y;
- Nikora; Libre - 440,281,000 GEL, increase of 28% y-o-y;
- Ori Nabiji - 308,479,354 GEL, increase of 33% y-o-y;
- Spar; Ioli; Foodmart - 209,933,000 GEL, increase of 40% y-o-y;
- Magniti - 194,526,000 GEL, increase of 180% y-o-y;
- Jibe (Wholesale Supermarket Chain) - 188,741,000 GEL, increase of 45% y-o-y;
- Goodwill (results of 2018) - 128,049,000 GEL;
- Fresco - 79,857,684 GEL, increase of 5% y-o-y;
- Universami - 50,085,589 GEL, increase of 23% y-o-y;
- Agrohub (results of 2018) - 45,274,728 GEL;
- Smart - 39,983,938 GEL, increase of 10% y-o-y;
Despite the companies' multimillion sales, as of 2019, many of the largest players in the market are suffering from financial losses.
Net profit/loss of supermarket chains operating in Georgia as of 2019:
- Carrefour - loss of -32,522,000 GEL;
- Nikora; Libre - loss of -15,488,000 GEL;
- Ori Nabiji - profit of 8,140,700 GEL;
- Spar; Ioli; Foodmart - profit of 5,432,000 GEL;
- Magnet - loss of -7,847,000 GEL;
- Jibe - profit of 1,011,000 GEL;
- Goodwill (2018 results) - profit of 1,865,000 GEL;
- Fresco - profit of 2,787,194 GEL;
- Universam - profit of 1,153,932 GEL;
- AgroHub (2018 results) - profit of 3,721,608 GEL;
- Smart - loss of -8,370,783 GEL;